401 Unauthorized

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Edited Mar 20, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I'm not a tweeter so when asked to add a twitter feed to our SharePoint site, I came looking at codeplex. Found this one... seemed easy. pretty much just installed the web part then configured the field "twitter Screen Name" with my input, "#FermilabToday" and it seemed to work. saved and looked at the site and now it states "The remote server returned an error: (401) unauthorized.

There is probably more to setup to make this work correctly?

Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Hi! Thanks for using my web part. When you configured the screen name property, did you use the hash tag like you indicated above? You should use just "FermilabToday" in the property and it should work out ok. Also, just to be sure, make sure that the "Use Twitter Authentication" check box is unchecked.

If that doesn't do the trick, let me know.

Thanks!
John
Mar 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Edited Mar 20, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Hi John,



Thanks for responding!

I removed the #(hash) tag and now the web part reports "Your Twitter connection limit has been exceeded. You can make new connections at 3/20/2013 4:20:15 PM."

Is there a way to get around this, perhaps cached the results every 5 minutes or so before querying again?

(ahh there is a field for caching and it is set at 5 minutes)... I have the rate limit wp sitting below the display tweets wp and every time I hit refresh the number decreases as if it is ignoring the cache time. I changed the time to 15, but the remaning limit continues to dwindle upon refreshing the screen)



-Bob
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Hi Bob,

What you're experiencing with the quickly disappearing available connections to Twitter is the exact reason that the web part was built in the first place. I imagine you're using the web part in a corporate environment that is using a NAT solution to abstract connections to the internet, right? So here's the problem - the caching in the web part doesn't account for anonymous connections that are being used in other parts of your network. :(

So... the path forward isn't actually that bad. What you need to do is go to the Twitter developer site (https://dev.twitter.com), sign up for an account and then create an application definition for yourself. Once you do that, you'll have what you need to start making authenticated connections to Twitter, which will a) give you more connections to work with and b) create a private set of connections for the web part to use, which should enable you to always have enough connections for your SharePoint portal.

On a side note - you'll notice when you get to the Twitter developer site that there's lots going on with their new API. It's a pretty big deal, and it is going to impact this web part. I'm already working on a new version and hope to have it available soon. If you're interested in helping me beta test the new version, please let me know as I'd appreciate some feedback.

Hopefully this helps. If you need any help with the authentication bits, just let me know.
John
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Hi John,

I hate being a noob at this, but....

So I have setup the account and things seem to make more sense in your web part config, although I still get the 150 countdown. Here is a snap shot of my config.

Image

and an image of the results.. you can see the remaining limit continues to dwindle.

Image

Thanks for your help, and yes, sign me up for a beta tester!

-Bob
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Hi Bob,

To get the rate limit web part to show the new rate limit, make sure it's using the same authentication strings. Also, make sure you check that box "Use Twitter Authentication" With those two steps I think you'll be set.

Cheers!
John